Friday, March 16, 2012

Pizza!



I am sitting here thinking about pizza. How I wish I had some this very moment!
It reminded me that I had made these homemade pizzas a few weeks ago and wanted to share the results with you.

We have tried a few times to make homemade pizzas and they just never turned out very good. A few months ago I got a Better Homes and Gardens magazine that listed recipes for different pizza doughs, listed a sauce recipe, and tips on how to make your own gourmet pizzas at home. I am searching their site right now and can't find the exact article...shucks. Well, looks like I will have to type out the dough recipe. I will just list the ingredients with some very short instructions because the original article is a bit long.


All-Purpose Pizza Dough
Makes 4 small/medium pizza crusts (I halve the recipe and make 2. One for me and one for C)

5 c. unbleached bread flour
1 Tbsp. sugar or honey
1.5 tsp. salt
1 tsp. instant yeast (aka fast-rising yeast)
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 3/4 plus 1 Tbsp. water, room temp.
nonstick cooking spray

Basically mix this up like you would with any homemade pizza dough recipe. Spray a bowel with the cooking spray, lightly coat ball of dough with either the spray or olive oil, and place in bowel with plastic wrap over the top, but not touching. Let dough stand at room temp. for 30 mins. and then stick bowel in fridge overnight. Make sure you leave the dough out for 2 hours before using the next day. Divide into 4 pieces and form your dough. Before you put your toppings on stick your cookie sheet or pizza stone in the oven while it's preheating(bake one at a time). Once assembled with sauce and cheese and what not slip your pizza onto your preheated cookie sheet. Bake at 500 degrees for 5-7 minutes or until the edges are golden brown and cheese is also golden brown.

PS. I am not positive why it suggests you put this in the fridge. I have followed the directions, but have also just used the dough right after the 30 min. were up and it turned out fine. I also like to add some seasonings into the dough when I mix it up for some added flavor.

These instructions are majorly condensed so hopefully they still make sense. I am not real thrilled with their homemade sauce receipe so I would suggest either buying one at the store for convenience or maybe checking out All Recipes.com for a simple sauce.

Happy pizza making!

No comments:

Post a Comment