Friday, March 23, 2012

Learning

Today has been sort of a boring day. There wasn't much to be done. I finished the book I have been reading last night, I cleaned the house, and although I wanted to try and make something today I just wasn't in the mood. I sat there for a moment and decided to just go sit in my little craft room. Kind of hoping it would spark something. I only have a tiny amount of silver sheet left and knew I wasn't ready to finish it off. I pulled out this large thick sheet of copper and just looked at it in my hand, turning it over. I remembered a video I saw one time before I even took silversmithing classes on how to make a hollow form. I believe in the video they were making a hollow silver bead. I was actually thinking about that video last night before I went to bed. I tried to look for it today, but couldn't find it. I decided to give it a try anyways...with copper because I knew I would mess this up on my first try for sure. And I did. Over and Over. It seemed like every part of the process went wrong. I managed to get silver solder everywhere. Most of my copper looked silver by the time I was done and even though I filed and sanded I just couldn't get it all off. It seemed so bad I decided to stop right there and move onto something else. That something else actually ended really badly(oh boy it was bad!) too and as I sat there in a totally terrible defeated sort of mood for having wasted a lot of time and materials(I used some silver for the second project and a stone) I knew I just needed to walk away and find something else to do for a while.
Later on I stepped back in and picked up my first piece I worked on. It was ugly, but sort of cute and I had the energy to keep working with it. I am glad that I did because some how, by the grace of  God, it actually turned out pretty cute. Liver of Sulfur really saved this piece by blending all the silver and copper together in a not so obvious way.
Here she is....my little heart ring.


1 comment:

  1. Don't you just love the magic of liver of sulphur? Your ring is so cute!

    ReplyDelete