Saturday, January 28, 2012

Nurse Assistant

Where have I been lately? What was I doing?

I was accepted into a CNA (certified nurse assistant) program about 2 weeks ago. It's a free program and lasts only about 3 weeks. I have considered going to school to become a nurse and I thought becoming a CNA would expose me to seeing nurses in action.
Unfortunately, I picked up a stomach bug and had to not go in yesterday. Missing anytime automatically removes you from the program. I was bummed to not finish it out, but learned a lot about myself in the short time I was there.

What I learned in this experience:
Although I think I would make a great CNA I don't think it is s good fit for me and my personality. My cousin told me "Of course it wouldn't be a good fit for you because you are a right brained person." She has worked in the medical field in lots of different capacities and she knows me well. So, I trust her judgement that it's not a good fit. I need to read up on right brained people I guess to figure out what I should be doing.
Seeing the elderly in such bad shape was really hard for me emotionally. I thought giving someone a bath and changing their diaper would be the hardest part- not so. Knowing someone can hardly move and feed themselves and seeing that no one comes to visit them was far worse than dealing with any of the gross things.
I do NOT want to be a nurse. ;)
I am capable of studying and doing well on tests. It's been a LONG time since I have had to study or memorize anything and I was a bit worried it would be hard.My lowest grade in the class was a 99%!
Mostly-It helped me see that what I truly love to do is make things with my hands. I haven't touched a craft in over 2 weeks and I realized that working with my hands really energizes me, gives me a feeling of peace, and helps me release stress. If only I could figure out how to sell more so that I can make this my career...

So, I am not exactly sure where to go from here, but I am trusting that God has a plan for me.
`

No comments:

Post a Comment