Friday, April 15, 2011

Food

I have always been interested in nutrition, but never really had the discipline to put a lot of those principles into practice. For years I have known that I could be eating healthier. I have always loved fruits and vegetables and all things "healthy" but I also have a massive sweet tooth. MASSIVE! I have considered going vegetarian, considered trying a raw diet, considered giving up sugar but I just haven't. It was never the right time or I told myself that I would do it after this vacation or that event. Excuses excuses!

I knew it was time and somehow my timing matched up with a friends timing as well. My friend asked if I would consider doing The Daniel Fast. Have you heard of it? It's basically eating only fruits, vegetables, beans, seeds, and whole grains. No sugars other than the fruit. Not even honey or agave! No dairy of any kind either. The "fast" is supposed to last 3 weeks. I agreed and we set a date. The day before I started I bought one last Gigi's cupcake. If you really know me you would know that I LOVE or maybe I should say am obsessed with Gigi's cupcakes. They are completely tasty, but completely one of those treats that could probably give you a heart attack right there on the spot. I ate all the icing (I'm talking like a cup full of icing!) and left most of the cake behind like usual and said goodbye to sugar right there. It was depressing but I knew I needed to allow myself a vacation from it.

I have now eaten this way for a week and 2 days. It's been surprisingly easy in a sense and terribly hard in another. I never ate a lot of meat in the first place and it hasn't been to difficult to give up. I have craved a hamburger since day one though which is really weird since I don't even eat them very often. I also crave something creamy and usually it's ice cream. Overall the cravings are pretty un-intense and in those moments I just eat an apple or have a rice cake with natural peanut butter and it quickly goes away. The terrible part about this for me is that I feel like I am eating the same things over and over. I can't tell you how many times I have had brown rice with beans and cooked vegetables for lunch or dinner. Also, you really have to do a lot of cooking unless you just want to eat raw stuff all the time. This week I am planning out my meals a little better to get some more variety.

Overall it's been a really good experience. I see that I can make it through a day without a sweet treat and I feel more clear on the inside. It's hard to explain really, but it feels good. Below is what I eat pretty much every morning. I love it!

My favorite breakfast recipe:
one sliced banana
raisins
dried coconut ( no sugar added)
pecans
frozen blueberries
cinnamon (a shake or two)
almond milk (enough to get things wet)

It makes me feel like I am eating cereal. It is also really tasty and keeps me full for a long time.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad it's going well. I was thinking about you the other day when my friend said that she was going to go vegan for a while. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete