Tuesday, March 22, 2011

For a Friend

About a month ago I bought 10 or so antique spoons at a local antique store. I knew I wanted to try and make a bracelet out of one, but I really had no plans for the rest. I made two bracelets and even though they turned out nice, in the end, they were sort of awful to make. Bending those babies into a flowing round shape was almost impossible. I know there are ways to make this easier, but I am not ready to buy the tools involved. I decided to try something a little different and I love the results.

My oldest friend Natalie asked for me to make her a bracelet and instead I used her piece as an experiment for a new necklace. I flattened out the head of the spoon, sawed off the head, filed the edge smooth, stamped phrase, and drilled the hole. Kind of a process but I really like how it turned out. I am going to make one for myself next and since I have a few spoons left I will probably put a few in my store for sale.

Here it is


PS. I am still working on my stamping skills. It's much easier to get it right when using the stamps on leather than metal. I kind of like that it's not straight and perfect though...has more character I like to think.

No comments:

Post a Comment